Search This Blog

NOVEMBER POSTS

FAMILY VIOLENCE isn’t one act committed by one person. Communities, Governments, and friends can all be contributors to Family Violence. It wasn’t until 1983 that Canadian law outlawed marital rape [1]. “Family violence is more than just beating a partner or child. It’s the abuse of power to harm or control a person who was or is a family member.”[2] The Alberta Government now recognizes NOVEMBER AS FAMILY VIOLENCE PREVENTION MONTH which replicates a campaign that was started in Hinton in 1986 [3]. So for the month of November we’ll be posting stories that hopefully help identify family violence so that communities are able to recognize there contribution to violence and find ways to end the abuse.

Monday 7 November 2011

Wronged

I think the first time I felt she'd wronged me, really wronged me in a way a mother just should not wrong her daughter, was when she had all my hair cut off. Long long auburn hair cut so short I was often mistaken for a young boy. I'd felt wronged when she asked my father to leave or when I received a punishment I didn't understand, sure. As an adult, as a single-mother now myself, however, I've come to gain an understanding for those things.  Those events I could not grasp merely due to age, life experience and a lack of such encounters personally. But the Hair? Though I have my suspicions as to why, have my own idea's ... they still leave me feeling wronged. They do not excuse the act. They do not provide comfort for the self identity that was stolen. That is the first time I felt wronged by her, by my Mother.

~ Whytelash

No comments:

Post a Comment